Jazz and the Politics of Identity:
1. Parallels and Paradoxes: Explorations I Music and Society, by Daniel Barenboim and Edward Said (Ara Guzelimian, editor; Pantheon Books, 2002).
2. Jazz Powwow, Interview with John-Carlos Perea, by Jesse Varela; East Bay Express (Emeryville, California; eastbayexpress.com); November 21, 2001.
3. Liner notes: First Dance, Aerep Music (San Francisco), recorded 1999.
4. East Bay Express interview, November 2001
7. Liner notes: First Dance.
10. Alcatraz is Not An Island, PBS/KQED documentary, 2002.
11. Barenboim and Said, Parallels and Paradoxes: Explorations in Music and Society.
12. Lyric from Polar Bear Stomp, by Jim Pepper. As sung on Polar Bear Stomp, recorded May 3, 1991; released on CD (986 551-6) by Universal Music GmbH (Austria), 2003.
13. As quoted by John-Carlos Perea; East Bay Express interview, November 2001.
14. Barenboim and Said, Parallels and Paradoxes: Explorations in Music and Society.
15. Liner notes: First Dance.
Published in In Motion Magazine November 9, 2004
If you have any thoughts on this or would like to contribute to an ongoing discussion in the
What is New? || Affirmative Action || Art Changes || Autonomy: Chiapas - California ||
Community Images || Education Rights || E-mail, Opinions and Discussion ||
En español || Essays from Ireland || Global Eyes || Healthcare ||
Human Rights/Civil Rights || Piri Thomas ||
Photo of the Week || QA: Interviews || Region || Rural America ||
Search || Donate || To be notified of new articles || Survey ||
In Motion Magazine's Store || In Motion Magazine Staff ||
In Unity Book of Photos ||
Links Around The World || OneWorld / US ||
Copyright © 1995-2012 NPC Productions as a compilation. All Rights Reserved.