From U.S. Centered Multiculturalism To
1. See: Flores, R. (8-2003) Interview with Miranda Roff avail upon request
2. This is stating the problem of the system inversely to Frieres optimism point that we can better the system because it is an unfinished project (Freire). I dont dispute Freires point because this stage of capitalism is still better than slavery. I merely stating that my starting point is the assumption that a corporativized capitalist system is geared towards global cultural hegemony and political domination. My assumption is a negative photograph of Freires that is the cracks are positive spaces for Freires analogy the cracks were where the system goes wrong.
3. See: To be published Critical Pedagogy, Critical Race Theory, and Antiracist Education: Implications for Multicultural Education.
4. Can be found at http://www.svrep.org/aboutsvrep/fact_sheet.html
5. See McLaren, Flores & Tanaka (Sp. 2001) Autonomy and Participatory Democracy: Interview of Roberto Flores and Greg Tanaka by Peter McLaren, International Journal of Educational Reform. Scarecrowe Education Lanham, MD
6. One only has to look at the gubernatorial recall fiasco in California to get a sense of the corruptive melt-down of representative democracy. This type of upper class only democracy has been so effective in the U.S. that it now serves as a model for and is being emulated by the upper classes in Venezuela. As I write this, the wealthy class initiative has already collected over 2 million signatures of 2.5 million needed to have a recall of Hugo Chavez, even though he was elected by 80% of the electorate.
7. See: Flores, R. (1997) Notes from Observation at 3 major school sites in the Highlands of Chiapas. Notes Available upon request.
8. Constitution can be found at http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.credits.html
9. From my own critical perspective, the attempt to bring about a classless society or a society of equals within a class based socio-economic system, where exploitation and inequality are essential (although necessary) always seemed to have a touch of oxymoranism. A welfare capitalist state seemed to bring up a perpetual contradiction and unstable situation, an extremely sensitive and volatile homeostatic situation on the verge of breakdown (Quintana).
10. See Siete Pensamientos en Mayo by Marcos (May, 2003) can be found at http://www.narconews.com/docs/zapatistas2003.html and at http://www.revistarebeldia.org/revistas/007/index.html
11. See National Council of La Raza can be found at http://www.nclr.org/about/nclrfaq.html
12. See Bourdieu & Passeron (1990) Reproduction in Education, Society and Culture. Sage Press, Newbury Park, Calif
13. Stromquist (2003) outlines a process through which the right first criticized the welfare state blaming it and its non-competitive reflection in education for its economic decline. Given the role of corporative capital in politics and policy-making it was a matter of time before the chipping away of the welfare state would cause it to begin to crumble. This then allowed for the market alternatives to move in.
14. Even the new configuration of nation states has taken on the form of a business with top management and a CEO and of course a new supranational platform or legal framework from which to operate. In one of his campaign speeches, Bush openly stated that he would preside over his office as a CEO. He is not only the first President trained (MBA) to be a CEO but has all the business connections to carry that out. What seems to be occurring is that the former nation state which carried with it some sense of social responsibility is being replaced by a corporate market state which puts profit as its first and natural priority (Stromquist).
15. See: Census: Hispanic dropout numbers soar Schools struggle to keep more immigrants in classroom Friday, October 11, 2002 Posted: 11:35 AM EDT (1535 GMT) can be found at http://www.cnn.com/2002/EDUCATION/10/11/census.dropouts.ap/
16. See La Jornada (July 22, 2003) El Banco Mundial, desencantado de los beneficios de privatizar empresas. Agencias: Can be found at http://www.jornada.unam.mx.
17. See for more information of the relationship between targeted military recruitment and the No Child ..Left Behind Bush initiative can be found at http://sover.net/~alipsitt/nochild.htm
18. See Culick, J. (0ct 19, 1999) The Educated Poor. Can be found at http://squawk.ca/lbo-talk/9910/1130.html
19. See Narconews On Not Asking Permission: can be found at http://chiapas.mediosindependientes.org/display.php3?article_id=105754
20. See Merriam-Webster Dictionary (11th Edition) can be found at http://www.m-w.com/
21. Asset Assessment can be found at http://www.northwestern.edu/ipr/abcd.html
22. CIEPAC (9/2001) La Educacion y La Autonomia Indigena (Primera Parte). Can be found at http://www.ciepac.org/bulletins/index01.htm
23. Can be found at http://www.narconews.com/Issue31/article830.html
24. The Thirteenth Stele Part Four: A Plan Can be found at La Jornada August 6, 2003 or can be found at http://www.narconews.com/Issue31/article830.html
25. Flores, R (1997) Interview of Carlos Lenkersdorf. Original notes available upon request
26. Luz Olivia Pinedas research in this area traces the process through which these bilingual teachers become political bosses. While researching the bilingual programs of Chiapas, I interviewed Dr. Jacinto Arias, a Tzotzil Anthropologist, the head of Indigenous Education, who is (as well as many of his relatives) now implicated in the Acteal massacre. When the Zapatista Governmental structures were formed many of the PRI propped governments fell. Threatened official of the hollow government (mostly bilingual teachers) formed death squads to retaliate against the Zapatista parallel communities. For more info see: inmotionmagazie.com Breaking the Ideological Bounds.
27. See Eichart, B. (1998) Zapatista. Big Noise Production. Can be ordered at http://www.positive-youthstore.com/catalog/videos/political.asp
28. Marcos to NGOs: Zapatistas Dont Want Charity, but Respect CHIAPAS: The Thirteenth Stele - Part Two: A Death can be found at http://www.narconews.com/Issue31/article833.html
29. See: Manufacturing Consent by Edward S. Herman and Noam Chomsky Pantheon Books, 1988
Ciro Perez Silva, C. (Oct 23, 2002) Necesita La Izquierda Modificar su discurso politico coinciden expertos. La Jornada Can be found at http://www.jornada.unam.mx/2002/oct02/021023/023n1pol.php?origen=index.htm
31. Villafuerte, C (Nov., 1996) Javier Eloriaga Liberado. El Tiempo
32. Marcos (Jul 27, 2003) Parte IV: Un Plan. La Jornada can be found at http://www.jornada.unam.mx/2003/jul03/030727/politica.php?fly=2
33. See excerpt of School-Based Management as School Reform. "Taking Stock", By: Joseph Murphy & Lynn G. Beck; Corwin Press Inc. 1995. Found at http://fcis.oise.utoronto.ca/~daniel_schugurensky/assignment1/1964davis.html
34. See Sleeter, C. E. & Delgado Bernal, D. in press. Critical pedagogy, critical race theory, and antiracist education: Their implications for multicultural education. In J. A. Banks & C. M. Banks (Eds.), Handbook of Research on Multicultural Education, 2nd ed. Jossey Bass. Can be found at: http://home.csumb.edu/s/sleeterchristine/world/articles.html
35. See the Washington Times: September 10, 2003 D.C. School Voucher Bill Passes in House by 1 Vote can be found at http://student-voices.org/news/index.php3?NewsID=6782
36. See La Educacion y la Autonomia Indigena can be found at http://www.laneta.apc.org/mailman/listinfo/ciepac-b.
37. See Ernesto Galarza, Barrio Boy (1971); Ernesto Galarza, Merchants of Labor: The Mexican Bracero Story (1964); Ernesto Galarza, Spiders in the House and Workers in the Field (1970).
Published in In Motion Magazine October 16, 2003.
If you have any thoughts on this or would like to contribute to an ongoing discussion in the
What is New? || Affirmative Action || Art Changes || Autonomy: Chiapas - California ||
Community Images || Education Rights || E-mail, Opinions and Discussion ||
En español || Essays from Ireland || Global Eyes || Healthcare ||
Human Rights/Civil Rights || Piri Thomas ||
Photo of the Week || QA: Interviews || Region || Rural America ||
Search || Donate || To be notified of new articles || Survey ||
In Motion Magazine's Store || In Motion Magazine Staff ||
In Unity Book of Photos ||
Links Around The World
Copyright © 1995-2015 NPC Productions as a compilation. All Rights Reserved.