Back to: Over-Raided, Under Siege
Over-Raided, Under Siege
1. Collective punishment is a term coined in the United Nations High Commission on Human Rights Protocol Additional to the Geneva Conventions of 12 August 1949, and relating to the Protection of Victims of International Armed Conflicts Of 1977. Human Rights Watch defines Collective Punishment as any form of punitive sanctions and harassment, including but not limited to judicial penalties, that are imposed on families or other targeted groups for actions that they themselves did not personally commit. See Human Rights Watch. Israel/Lebanon Persona Non Grata: The Expulsion of Civilians from Israeli-Occupied Lebanon. 1999. http://www.hrw.org/reports/1999/lebanon/Isrlb997-07.htm#P758_185123 (accessed December 17, 2007).
2. NNIRRs chronology (tracking and documentation) of immigration raids is at: www.nnirr.org
3. Yale Daily News. Feds arrest dozens of illegal immigrants in New Haven raids. By Andrew Mangino. June 6, 2007. See http://www.yaledailynews.com/articles/view/21076 (accessed December 17, 2007).
4. The Associated Press. Study: Raids risk kids' mental health. By Oskar Garcia. October 31, 2007. See http://ydr.inyork.com/newsfull/ci_7330995 (accessed December 17, 2007).
5. The New York Times. Justice Dept. Numbers Show Prison Trends. by Solomon Moore. December 6, 2007. See http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/06/us/06prison.html?_r=1&oref=slogin (accessed December 17, 2007).
6. National Immigration Justice Center. Detention Center Documentation Collection. September 19, 2007. See http://www.immigrantjustice.org/detentioncenterdocuments.html (accessed December 17, 2007).
7. List of the number of detainees with final orders of removal received by the American Bar Association from ICE in October 2007 through a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request.
8. Department of Homeland Security Office of Inspector General. Treatment of Immigration Detainees Housed at Immigration and Customs Enforcement Facilities. December 2006. See http://www.dhs.gov/xoig/assets/mgmtrpts/OIG_07-01_Dec06.pdf (accessed December 17, 2007).
9. Department of Homeland Security. Fact Sheet: Improving Border Security and Immigration Within Existing Law. August 10, 2007. See http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1186757867585.shtm (accessed December 17, 2007).
10. The Associated Press. Los Angeles Police Plan to Map Muslims. November 9, 2007. See http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=3843229 (accessed December 17, 2007).
11. Associated Press Worldstream. LA police chief says plan to map Muslim enclaves won't go forward. By Peter Prengaman. November 16, 2007. Lexis Nexis Academic Universe (accessed December 18, 2007).
12. Congressional Quarterly Politics. State, Local Police Slowly Warming to Immigration Enforcement. Eleanor Stables. November 7, 2007. See http://cqpolitics.com/wmspage.cfm?parm1=5&docID=hsnews-000002623700 (accessed December 17, 2007).
Published in In Motion Magazine, January 4, 2008
If you have any thoughts on this or would like to contribute to an ongoing discussion in the
What is New? || Affirmative Action || Art Changes || Autonomy: Chiapas - California ||
Community Images || Education Rights || E-mail, Opinions and Discussion ||
En español || Essays from Ireland || Global Eyes || Healthcare ||
Human Rights/Civil Rights || Piri Thomas ||
Photo of the Week || QA: Interviews || Region || Rural America ||
Search || Donate || To be notified of new articles || Survey ||
In Motion Magazine's Store || In Motion Magazine Staff ||
In Unity Book of Photos ||
Links Around The World
Copyright © 1995-2021 NPC Productions as a compilation. All Rights Reserved.