2. French court cancels ban on Monsanto GMO maize, Reuters, 28 November 2011: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/28/france-gmo-idUSL5E7MS3EM20111128
3. Monsanto Bow to French Ban on GM Maize Seed in 2012, GM Freeze press release, 25 January 2012: http://www.gmfreeze.org/news-releases/178/
4. Monsanto, 2011 Annual Report: http://www.monsanto.com/investors/Documents/Annual%20Report/Monsanto_2011_AnnualReport.pdf, p.2.
5. Robert Langreth and Matthew Herper, The Planet Versus Monsanto, Forbes, 18 January 2010: http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2010/0118/americas-best-company-10-gmos-dupontplanet-versus-monsanto.html
6. Monsanto, 2011 Annual Report: http://www.monsanto.com/investors/Documents/Annual%20Report/Monsanto_2011_AnnualReport.pdf
7. Dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane (DDT) is a hazardous, synthetic pesticide.
8. Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) were used in components of insulators of electrical transformers, paints, pesticides, oils and cements. By 1980s, due to their high levels of toxicity, they began to face national bans, but they persist in the environment.
9. Agent Orange was used by the US military in the Vietnam War to destroy food sources and defoliate hiding places. Three million Vietnamese are still suffering from its effects, which cause birth defects and cancer, according to civil society organisations. See http://www.vn-agentorange.org/thecall.html
10. Bovine growth hormones are injected into cows to increase their milk production and the US continues to allow the production of this milk despite human and animal health warnings. It has been banned in the EU, Canada and elsewhere. See http://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/campaign/rbgh-hormones/rbgh-rbst/
11. Philip H. Howard, Visualizing Consolidation in the Global Seed Industry: 1996-2008, December 2009: http://www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/1/4/1266/pdf
12. Marie-Monique Robin, The World According to Monsanto: pollution, corruption and the control of our food supply, The New Press, 2010: http://thenewpress.com/index.php?option=com_title&task=view_title&metaprodu ctid=1755
13. ETC Group, Who will control the Green Economy? p22, December 2011: http://www.etcgroup.org/upload/ETC_wwctge_14dec2011_4web.pdf
14. GRAIN, Global Agribusiness: two decades of plunder, 13 July 2010: http://www.grain.org/article/entries/4055-global-agribusiness-two-decades-of-plunder
15. ETC Group, Earth Grab: Geopiracy, The New Biomasters and Capturing Climate Genes, Pambazuka Press, 2011: http://www.pambazuka.org/en/category/features/77446
16. Earth Open Source, Roundup and birth effects: Is the public being kept in the dark? June 2011: http://www.scribd.com/doc/57277946/RoundupandBirthDefectsv5
17. 3D, Exploring the Global Food Supply Chain, 2010: http://www.3dthree.org/pdf_3D/3D_ExploringtheGlobalFoodSupplyChain.pdf
18. Monsanto’s best selling crop, Bt corn, is supposed to be insect resistant but is not reliable, and secondary pests can emerge as a result of pesticide use and poor agricultural practices. Furthermore, pests can develop resistance to Bt toxins, rendering them entirely ineffective. See:
19. Greenpeace, Ecological farming: Drought-resistant agriculture, 2010: http://www.biosafety-info.net/file_dir/18493216064c58e899420b6.pdf
20. Friends of the Earth International, Who Benefits from GM Crops? 2010, September 2010: http://www.foei.org/en/resources/publications/pdfs/2010/who-benefits-from-gmcrops-2010/view
21. NGO Working Group on Food & Hunger at the United Nations, Policy Statment to the General Assembly, September 2011: http://www.globalpolicy.org/images/pdfs/NGO_UN_Food_Statement.pdf
22. See: ISAAA, Global Status of Commercialized Biotech/GM Crops: 2010, Executive Summary - Brief 42 2010: http://isaaa.org/resources/publications/briefs/42/executivesummary/default.asp
23. ISAAA, Global Status of Commercialized Biotech/GM Crops: 2010, Executive Summary - Brief 42 2010: http://isaaa.org/resources/publications/briefs/42/executivesummary/default.asp
24. FAO, FAO Statistical Yearbook 2009, FAO Rome, See table A4: http://www.fao.org/docrep/014/am079m/PDF/am079m00a.pdf
25. ISAAA, Global Status of Commercialized Biotech/GM Crops: 2010, Executive Summary - Brief 42 2010: http://isaaa.org/resources/publications/briefs/42/executivesummary/default.asp.
If you have any thoughts on this or would like to contribute to an ongoing discussion in the
What is New? || Affirmative Action || Art Changes || Autonomy: Chiapas - California ||
Community Images || Education Rights || E-mail, Opinions and Discussion ||
En español || Essays from Ireland || Global Eyes || Healthcare ||
Human Rights/Civil Rights || Piri Thomas ||
Photo of the Week || QA: Interviews || Region || Rural America ||
Search || Donate || To be notified of new articles || Survey ||
In Motion Magazine's Store || In Motion Magazine Staff ||
In Unity Book of Photos ||
Links Around The World
Copyright © 1995-2018 NPC Productions as a compilation. All Rights Reserved.